11-87 Function

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
tudurgs

11-87 Function

Post by tudurgs »

I've owned and shot 1100's for years, and when I found a left-handed 11-87 for my wrong-armed grandson, I jumped at it. Gun probably hadn't had a box of shells thru it. He's now put a thousand or 2 thousand target loads through it, and keeps it scrupulously clean. The gun is now failing to eject virtually any target loads - Wally world shells, or my AA handloads, it makes no difference. It has been suggested that the problem is in the multi-stage ( ? ) recoil sensor that is what makes an 11-87 different from an 1100. Is that the culprit? If so, is the problem fixable? Seems as tho the problem has gotten progressively worse, as though there is a part which is wearing or is clogged up. Any help would be appreciated.
Virginian

Re: 11-87 Function

Post by Virginian »

You need to check a lot of things.
Has he cleaned the gas ports with a drill bit (turned by hand) ? Has he cleaned the action spring and tube in the buttstock? Does the action spring have an aluminum follower, and if so, is it buggered up and dragging? Does he have the bevelled type old-style piston and piston seal, and are the splits 180 degrees apart? Has he removed the gas port relief spring? If he did the last one, that's likely a problem. This spring has to fit tight or it bleeds off too much gas, and taking it on and off often springs it. If the gas ports get plugged, the action doesn't get enough gas to properly operate. If the relief ports get plugged the gun may cycle harder than it is supposed to, but it will cycle.
If he routinely cleans the magazine tube with steel or bronze wool I hope he hasn't worn down the diameter. Check it the full length for size.
If anyone tells you to start replacing springs, a favorite recommendation among the uninitiated, that will only make the problem you describe worse.
If all else fails, I have had to gag the relief ports to get an 11-87 to cycle with light loads, but I have usually encountered this only with a few new guns that haven't gotten broken in yet. If you have to resort to that, do not clean the inside of the barrel gas tube, and put a dab of silicone sealant on each relief port on the inside. When you want to go back to heavy loads it should remove pretty easily, and don't forget.
Good luck.
What could have happened... did.
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

OK. The rest of the story. Had the gun cleaned and tuned by a Remington 'smith. After 150 shells, the gun would not cycle. Tearing the gun down, the magazine tube is gummed up in various locations along the tube - clean, then gummy, clean then gummy. The gummy sections are inhibiting the cycling. Shells which caused the gumming up are Federal TopGun Pink Ladies' Cancer shells. Has anyone had experience with these shells? They are 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz shot.

My grandson is on the verge of becoming a pretty good shot, but this experience is playing with his head.

Help!
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

I have never had any problem with any shells, but too much or the wrong lube on the magazine tube will do what you describe every time. Spray it good with WD-40, RemOil, or Breakfree and wipe off all the excess and try that.
What could have happened... did.
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

I always shot my 1100's dry on the magazine tube. Always seemed to me that any lube acted as a collector for the carbon in the gas, and after a short time the lube/carbon mixture became corrosive gunk